KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Nov. 20, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's swimming & diving team opened the 2019-20 season with victories over visiting Old Westbury, St. Joseph's-Brooklyn and St. Joseph's-Long Island in a Skyline quad-meet Wednesday night at the O'Hara Hall Pool.
The Mariners won every single event in the meet. Here were the highlights:
- Freshman Abigail Thomas (Lafayette Hill, Pa.) earned her first collegiate wins in the 1000 free (11:36.26) and 200 IM (2:27.79)
- Senior Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) also won twice in the 200 free (2:08.48) and the 500 Free (5:49.05)
- Freshman Kira Porzio (Palo Cedro, Calif.) won the 50 free in 25.77 for her first collegiate win
- Freshman Emma Clarkson (San Antonio, Texas) captured her first collegiate win in the 100 fly (1:03.68)
- Junior Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) came in first place in the 100 free (57.47)
- Senior Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) touched first in the 100 back (1:05.04) and the 100 breast (1:14.71)
- Sophomore Hannah Taylor (Owings Mills, Md.) won the three-meter dive with a score of 156.83 for her first collegiate win
- Sophomore Erin Roberts (Naperville, Ill.) won the one-meter dive with a score of 161.48
- The 200 medley relay team of freshman Katie McGillicuddy (Castle Rock, Colo.), Lou, freshman Roxy Matlashewski (Anoka, Minn.) and Kirshner won in 1:59.31, while the 200 free relay team of Porzio, Gathy, Kirshner and Thomas placed first in 1:46.22
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are back in action this Saturday, Nov. 23, when they host the annual USMMA Memorial Invite beginning at 11 a.m. at the O'Hara Hall Pool.
Receive USMMA Women's Swimming & Diving News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!