PURCHASE, N.Y. (Jan. 26, 2019 – UPDATED Jan. 29, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's swimming & diving team captured its third-straight Skyline Conference Championship at the league's championship meet this past Friday and Saturday, hosted by Purchase College. The Mariners finished with 567 points, holding off second-place Mount St. Mary (354) and third-place Sarah Lawrence (210).
USMMA won a total of 10 of the 16 events at the meet and set four new meet records, including one which was a new Academy record. There were a total of 16 First Team All-Skyline performances (first-place finishers) and 11 Second Team performances (second-place finishers).
Sophomore Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) set four meet records and one Academy record en route to being named the Skyline Women's Swimmer of the Year (her second-straight Swimmer of the Year Award), while senior diver Kara Korengel (Cincinnati, Ohio) was awarded the Diver of the Year Award, as she set a new meet record in the three-meter dive.
Kirshner won the 200 free in a meet- and Academy-record time of 1:57.41, while also touching first in the 50 free in 24.92, the 100 free in a meet-record 53.91 and the 200 individual medley in a meet-record 2:12.11. The sophomore was also a part of both of the relay teams that won – the 200 medley team with freshman Chase Massey (Friendswood, Texas), junior Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.), Kirshner and freshman Samantha Hunt (Franklin, Texas) in 1:52.81 and the 400 free team of Massey, Hunt, senior Pamela Grod (Northbrook, Ill.) and Kirshner in 3:45.19.
Korengel won the one-meter dive with a score of 381.25 and set a new meet record in the three-meter dive with an NCAA Qualifying score of 442.20.
Two other swimmers also won their respective events:
- Grod in the 100 breaststroke (1:09.91)
- and Lou in the 200 breast (2:32.84)
Listed below are the Second Team All-Skyline performances.
- 1,000 Free and 100 Free: Junior Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.)
- 100 Breast and 200 IM: Lou
- 200 Fly and 100 Fly: Hunt
- 50 Free: Massey
- One-Meter Dive: Freshman Erin Roberts (Naperville, Ill.)
- 200 Breast: Grod
- 500 Free: Junior Sara Cosenza (Peoria, Ariz.)
- Three-Meter Dive: Senior Danielle Christmas (Tavernier, Fla.)
The following Mariners swam season-best times in their respective events.
- The 200 medley relay team by four seconds
- 1,000 free – Gathy by 13 seconds; Cosenza by 46 seconds; and sophomore Angeline Lei (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) by nine seconds
- 200 free – Kirshner; senior Colleen Griffin (Kinnelon, N.J.) by two seconds; and Lei by three seconds
- 100 back – junior Marley Rakow (Bishopville, Md.) by one second; Griffin; Massey by three seconds; Gathy by two seconds; and Lei by one second
- 100 breast – Lou by three seconds; Grod by six seconds; and sophomore Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) by one second
- 200 fly – Orski by 10 seconds; Cosenza by 12 seconds; and Hunt by two seconds
- 50 free – sophomore Christina Hogan (North Andover, Mass.) by 0.7 seconds; Grod by 1.25 seconds; Massey by one second; and Kirshner by 0.6 seconds
- 100 free – Griffin by nine seconds; Hogan; Gathy by one second; Kirshner by 1.5 seconds; and Hunt by 1.2 seconds
- 200 back – Griffin by six seconds; Massey by five seconds
- 200 breast – Cosenza by 18 seconds; Grod by 10 seconds; and Lou by six seconds
- 500 free – Hogan by 12 seconds; Cosenza by 25 seconds; Orski by five seconds; Lei by three seconds; and Massey by 20 seconds
- 100 fly – Hunt by 1.5 seconds
- 200 IM – Grod by three seconds; Kirshner by five seconds; and Lou by seven seconds
- The 400 free relay team by four seconds
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are back in action on Saturday, Feb. 2, when they host non-conference opponent Rowan University on Senior Day at the O'Hara Hall Pool. Action is set to get underway at 1 p.m. A live video feed of the meet will be available at this link.
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!