NEW LONDON, Conn. (Jan. 19, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's swimming & diving team lost its rivalry showdown to Coast Guard, 213-85, on Saturday at the Bears' Roland Pool. The loss was the Mariners' first of the season, as their record drops to 8-1, while Coast Guard improves to 6-2 with the win.
The Mariners won a total of four events on the afternoon, with senior diver Kara Korengel (Cincinnati, Ohio) winning both boards – one-meter (213.22) and three-meter (253.80) – and junior Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) touching first with season-best times in both the 100 breaststroke (1:13.94) and the 200 breast (2:38.04).
The following Mariners also earned season-best times on the day.
- Junior Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) in the 1000 freestyle by 10 seconds (11:31.99)
- Junior Sara Cosenza (Peoria, Ariz.) in the 1000 free by four seconds (12:21.76) and in the 500 free by 13 seconds (6:00.71)
- Sophomore Angeline Lei (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) in the 200 free by one second (2:21.81) and the 500 free by six seconds (6:18.14)
- Sophomore Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) by 0.2 seconds in the 50 free (25.43)
- And sophomore Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) in the 100 breast by two seconds (1:17.28), the 200 breast by three seconds (2:45.42) and the 200 individual medley by four seconds (2:33.79)
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are back in action next weekend, Jan. 25-26, when they take part in the Skyline Conference Championship Meet. The league championship meet has been moved back up to Purchase College this year, and the Mariners will look to defend their back-to-back championships beginning on Friday night at 6 p.m.
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!