PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Feb. 18, 2018) – The USMMA women's swim & dive team competed at the Metropolitan Conference Championships this past weekend, hosted by Rutgers University. Junior Kara Korengel (Cincinnati, Ohio) and freshman Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) highlighted the Mariners' weekend, as Korengel officially qualified for the NCAA Diving Regionals after attaining a qualifying score in the one-meter dive event on Friday and Kirshner set a new Academy record in the 50 freestyle, also on Friday.
Korengel scored a 406.70 in the one-meter dive during the preliminaries on Friday, which was ahead of the NCAA Qualifying Mark of 395. Since it was her second qualifying mark achieved on that board this season, she qualified for the NCAA Diving Regionals, hosted by Middlebury College March 2-3. The junior finished the finals of both the one-meter dive and the three-meter dive in third place, which were the Mariners' highest finishes on the weekend.
Kirshner touched the wall in the 50 free in a new Academy record time of 24.56. That was good for 17th place overall in that event. The freshman tied sophomore Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) for the Mariner swimmers' top finishes at the event, as Kirshner came in 10th in the 100 free in 53.67 and Gathy placed 10th in the 1650 free in 18:42.61.
As a team, Merchant Marine finished the 18-team event in seventh place with a total of 494 points. Rowan University was the 2018 champion with 1320 points, while Division II LIU Post (1149.5 points) and TCNJ (909 points) rounded out the top-three in second and third place, respectively.
Listed below are all the individual top-24 finishers.
- 500 Free – Gathy (5:24.12, 14th place) and sophomore Sara Cosenza (Peoria, Ariz.) (5:29.17, 18th place)
- 200 IM – sophomore Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) (2:15.21, 14th place)
- 50 Free – Kirshner (24.56, 17th place)
- 1M Dive – Korengel (394.20, third place) and freshman Anastasya Sergojan (Olympia, Wash.) (230.50, 11th place in prelims)
- 400 IM – freshman Colleen Griffin (Kinnelon, N.J.) (5:23.93, 21st place) and classmate Angeline Lei (New Hyde Park, N.Y.) (5:33.99, 23rd place)
- 100 Fly – Kirshner (1:00.42, 12th place)
- 200 Free – Gathy (2:01.24, 20th place)
- 100 Breast – junior Pamela Grod (Northbrook, Ill.) (1:10.17, 14th place) and freshman Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) (1:10.42, 17th place)
- 100 Back – senior Liz Grove (Winchester, Va.) (1:02.16, 21st place)
- 1650 Free – Gathy (18:42.61, 10th place), Orski (19:03.02, 12th place) and Lei (21:21.27, 23rd place)
- 200 Back – Grove (2:13.64, 16th place)
- 100 Free – Kirshner (53.67, 10th place)
- 200 Breast – Lou (2:32.24, 13th place) and Orski (2:39.28, 24th place)
- 200 Fly – Cosenza (2:28.85, 21st place)
- 3M Dive – Korengel (389.90, third place) and Sergojan (172.30, seventh place)
Listed below are the finishes of the Mariner relay teams.
- 200 Free – Kirshner, Grod, Lou and Hogan (1:42.03, seventh place)
- 400 Medley – Grove, Orski, Kirshner and Grod (4:06.26, seventh place)
- 200 Medley – Grove, Orski, Lou and Grod (1:54.73, eighth place)
- 800 Free – Kirshner, Gathy, Orski and Cosenza (8:11.97, seventh place)
- 400 Free – Kirshner, Lou, Gathy and Grove (3:44.40, eighth place)
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!