PURCHASE, N.Y. (Jan. 27, 2018) – The USMMA women's swimming & diving team has earned its second-straight Skyline Conference Championship! The Mariners won the conference meet with a score of 587, ahead of second-place Mount St. Mary (343 points) and the rest of the eight-team field.
Freshman Victoria Kirshner (Santa Clarita, Calif.) was named the Most Outstanding Performer and the Rookie of the Year for her performance in the two-day event. She had five total first-place finishes (three individual and two relays) and set three records (one Academy Record and two Conference and Meet Records).
The following Mariners won individual conference championships and earned First Team All-Skyline:
- Senior Liz Grove (Winchester, Va.), Kirshner, sophomore Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) and junior Pamela Grod (Northbrook, Ill.) in the 200 medley relay (1:53.83)
- Sophomore Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) in the 1000 freestyle (11:22.81)
- Kirshner in the 200 free (1:58.56 – Academy Record), in the 100 free (54.34 – Conference and Meet Record) and the 100 butterfly (59.89 – Conference and Meet Record)
- Junior Kara Korengel (Cincinnati, Ohio) in the one-meter dive (386.20) and the three-meter dive (409.25)
- Grove in the 200 backstroke (2:14.67)
- Grod in the 200 breaststroke (2:32.96)
- Lou in the 200 individual medley (2:18.00)
- and Gathy, Grod, Grove and Kirshner in the 400 free relay (3:47.78)
The following Mariners earned Second Team All-Skyline with second place finishes:
- Freshman Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) in the 1000 free (11:29.38)
- Grove in the 100 back (1:01.57) and the 200 IM (2:21.00)
- Grod in the 100 breast (1:12.05)
- Freshman Eliza Miller (Richmond, Ky.) in the 200 fly (2:25.64)
- Kirshner in the 50 free (25.03)
- and Gathy in the 500 free (5:31.54)
The Mariners return to action on Saturday, Feb. 3, when they travel to Glassboro, N.J. for a non-conference meet against Rowan University. First event is scheduled for 1 p.m.
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!