WEST POINT, N.Y. (Dec. 7, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's and women track & field teams began the 2019-20 indoor season on Saturday at Army West Point's Crowell Open at the Black Knights' Gillis Field House.
Full results from the meet are available at this link.
On the women's side, the Mariners had 11 top-10 finishes listed below.
- Freshman Sayra Raya (Wasco, Calif.) came in second place in both the mile run (5:33.81) and the 3000m (10:52.15)
- Senior Anna Lewis (Lakehead, Calif.) came in third in the mile run (5:49.46)
- Freshman Sarah Lyon (Battle Creek, Mich.) came in fourth in the mile run (6:09.22)
- Freshman Kennedy Maddock (Yorba Linda, Calif.) came in fifth in the 400m (1:10.34)
- Freshman Quinci Elphinstone (Port Saint Joe, Fla.) came in sixth in the 800m (2:56.65)
- Lewis came in sixth in the 3000m (11:44.41)
- The 4x400m relay team of freshman Morgan Sharp (Bethesda, Md.), Elphinstone, Maddock and senior Alexa Vandermeer (Inver Grove Heights, Minn.) came in seventh in 4:37.86
- Freshman Alena Dunaway (Purcell, Okla.) came in ninth in the 400m (1:13.17)
- Lyon came in ninth in the 3000m (12:27.57)
- Dunaway came in 10th in the long jump (4.01m - 13' 2")
To view just the Mariner women's results from the meet, click here.
The Mariner men had seven top-10 finishes listed below.
- Sophomore Ivan Goretoy (West Warwick, R.I.) came in sixth place in the shot put (12.14m - 39' 10")
- Senior Garrett Hargis (Chandler, Ariz.) came in seventh in the shot put (11.47m - 37' 7.75")
- Senior Rob Beardsley (Bettendorf, Iowa) came in seventh in the 500m (1:15.60)
- Junior Michael Hercules (Akron, Ohio) came in eighth in the long jump (4.92m - 16' 1.75")
- Senior Michael Dobkowski (Merrick, N.Y.) came in ninth in the 3000m (9:50.09)
- Freshman Will Bucher (Carlisle, Pa.) came in 10th in the 1000m (2:45.34
- Bucher came in 10th in the mile run (4:42.36)
To view just the Mariner men's results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners' next meet is in the New Year, on Saturday, Jan. 11, at the TCNJ Invitational at The Armory in New York City.
Receive USMMA Track & Field News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA track & field teams, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Track & Field E-Mails" for the men's team and "Women's Track & Field E-Mails" for the women's team.
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!