EWING TOWNSHIP, N.J. (Dec. 8, 2019) – The #22 U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swimming & diving team finished in second place at the TCNJ Invitational this past weekend. Below are the biggest takeaways from the meet for the Mariners.
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
- Senior Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) achieved two NCAA B-Cut times with his victories in the 100 breaststroke in 55.95 on Saturday and the 200 breast in 2:04.37 on Sunday. Monahan also won the 200 individual medley in 1:55.08.
- Junior Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) also earned two NCAA Qualifying Scores with his wins in the three-meter dive (465.10) on Saturday and the one-meter dive (474.95) on Sunday.
- Senior Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) won the 100 butterfly in 50.97 (a season-best time). Weaver also finished second in the 100 backstroke in 52.18 (a season-best time), third in the 50 freestyle in 21.53 (a season-best time) and fifth in the 200 fly in 2:00.29
- The 200 free relay team of Monahan, junior Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.), Weaver and junior Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) came in second in 1:25.14 (a season-best time by 2.5 seconds)
- The 400 medley relay team of Weaver, Monahan, freshman William Schneider (Canton, Ohio) and Dan Moore came in second in 3:28.67
- The 400 free relay team of Monahan, Weaver, Dan Moore and freshman David McCranie (Woodbridge, Va.) came in second in 3:10.82
- Sophomore Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.) came in third in the 200 back in 1:59.06 and fourth in the 100 back in 53.61 (a season-best time)
- Freshman Armand Hebert (Chicopee, Mass.) came in fourth in the three-meter dive with a score of 376.55
- Junior Calvin Kim (Bellevue, Wash.) came in fourth in the one-meter dive with a score of 313.95 and sixth in the three-meter dive with a score of 330.30
- Welch came in fifth in the 50 free in 21.92 (a season-best time)
- Freshman Anthony Koczwara (South Elgin, Ill.) came in fifth in the one-meter dive with a score of 291.30
- McCranie came in sixth in the 100 back in 55.34 (a season-best time)
- Freshman Thomas Breen (Oviedo, Fla.) came in sixth in the one-meter dive with a score of 280.15.
- Dan Moore came in sixth in the 100 free in 48.12
- Senior Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.) came in seventh in the 400 IM in 4:22.82 (a season-best time)
- Senior John Luke Gallagher (Clarkesville, Ga.) came in seventh in the one-meter dive with a score of 272.50 and eighth in the three-meter dive with a score of 288.15
- Freshman Davis Caldwell (Isle of Palms, S.C.) came in eighth place in the 400 IM in 4:22.86 (a season-best time)
- Sophomore Patrick Tolloti (Dover, Ohio) came in eighth in the 100 breast in 1:01.13 (a season-best time)
- Junior Mykel Caruso (Portland, Ore.) came in eighth in the one-meter dive with a score of 261.15
- Junior John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) came in eighth in the 200 back in 2:04.43
- Junior Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) came in eighth in the 200 fly in 54.28
The Mariners' next meet will be in the New Year on Saturday, Jan. 11, 2020, on the road at nationally-ranked NYU. Diving action is set to get underway at 11:30 a.m. at the Violets' Palladium Athletic Facility, while swimming begins at 1 p.m. Any live links for the meet will be available on the USMMA Men's Swimming & Diving Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Men's Swimming & Diving News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!