KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Nov. 23, 2019) – The #22 U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swimming & diving team hosted the annual USMMA Memorial Invite on Saturday, welcoming in eight other teams – Division I St. Peter's and the divers of Manhattan College, Division II Adelphi and Pace, Division III SUNY Maritime, #20 TCNJ and the divers of #7 NYU as well as NJCAA Fashion Institute of Technology.
At the meet, junior diver Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) earned NCAA Qualifying Marks in both the one-meter and three-meter boards for the second time this season to officially qualify for the NCAA Regional Diving Meet in late February.
The following Mariners placed in the top-three at the meet.
- The 200 medley relay team of seniors Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) and Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.), freshman Will Schneider (Canton, Ohio) and junior Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) in 1:34.30.
- Monahan in the 200 individual medley (1:56.54), the 100 breaststroke (57.66), the 50 freestyle (21.13) and the 200 breast (2:09.29)
- Junior Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.) in the 100 free (47.96)
- Weaver in the 100 backstroke (52.94) and the 100 butterfly (52.23)
- The 400 free relay team of freshman David McCranie (Woodbridge, Va.), Weaver, Schneider and Welch in 3:12.99.
- McMillan in the one-meter dive (280.50)
- Weaver in the 50 free (21.76)
- Sophomore Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.) in the 100 back (54.55) and the 200 back (1:59.98)
- Junior Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.) in the 100 breast (1:01.36)
- Junior Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) in the 100 fly (54.12)
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners will take the next week-plus off from competition for the holiday break and return to the pool for a road Skyline tri-meet at Sarah Lawrence College on Dec. 3. At the tri-meet they will take on the host Gryphons and Purchase College.
Receive USMMA Men's Swimming & Diving News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!