BROOKLYN, N.Y. (Jan. 20, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swimming & diving team defeated Division 1 opponent St. Francis College, 152-78, on Sunday afternoon at the Terriers' Aquatic Center. The win improves the Mariners' record to 6-2 on the season, while SFC falls to 0-6.
The Mariners won all 13 of the events at the meet. Listed below are the victors.
- Senior Dave Argueta (Englewood, N.J.) in both the one-meter dive (190.57) and the three-meter dive (202.20).
- 200 Medley Relay: freshman Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.), sophomore Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.), freshman Sean Rojas (Westminster, Colo.) and senior Matheus Macedo (Elk Grove, Calif.) in 1:38.27
- 1000 Free: sophomore Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.) in 10:19.35
- 200 Free: junior Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) in 1:44.70
- 50 Free: Higgins in 21.88
- 200 IM: junior Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.) in 1:59.68
- 100 Fly: sophomore Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) in 54.44
- 100 Free: Monahan in 47.47
- 100 Back: Mizell in 52.25
- 500 Free: sophomore John Cairns (Durham, N.C.) in 4:58.39
- 100 Breast: freshman Patrick Tolloti (Dover, Ohio) in 59.42
- 200 Free Relay: Monahan, sophomore Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.), sophomore Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) and Higgins in 1:27.09
The following Mariners also recorded season-best times on the afternoon.
- 1000 Free: Breschi with a one second drop and freshman James Kaleel (Ortonville, Mich.) by one second in 11:08.00
- 200 Free: Monahan by one second and D. Moore by 0.2 seconds in 1:46.66
- 50 Free: Higgins by 0.2 seconds in 22.01
- 200 IM: M. Moore by two seconds in 1:59.68 and John Jansen (Valrico, Fla.) by one second in 2:01.97
- 100 Fly: senior Jack Olsen (Milford, N.H.) by one second in 57.16
- 100 Free: Monahan by one second
- 100 Back: Mizell by one second and freshman Micah McAnany (San Antonio, Texas) by one second in 55.77
- 500 Free: Breschi by three seconds in 4:58.67, Cairns by three seconds and freshman Elias Gray (Anaheim, Calif.) by one second in 5:16.68
- 100 Breast: M. Moore by four seconds in 1:01.38
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are back in action next weekend, Jan. 25-26, when they take part in the Skyline Conference Championship Meet. The league championship meet has been moved back up to Purchase College this year, and the Mariners will look to defend their championship beginning on Friday night at 6 p.m.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!