KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Dec. 9, 2017) – The USMMA men's swimming & diving team defeated Skyline Conference opponent Sarah Lawrence, 140-52, in a conference dual on Saturday at the O'Hara Hall Pool. The victory improves the Mariners' record to 3-0 (3-0 Skyline), while the Gryphons fall to 3-4 (2-3 Skyline) in defeat.
Merchant Marine claimed first place in all 11 events on the day, including both one-meter dive events, where freshman Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) earned a combined score of 458.11 over the 11 dives to record an NCAA Qualifying Mark. It was the rookie's second qualifying mark of the season, so he has officially booked his ticket to the NCAA Diving Regionals in early March.
Other wins of note came in the 1000 freestyle by freshman Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.), with an awesome swim in 10:04.99, and sophomore Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) in the 100 free with a time of 48.28, which was a season-best time by 1.5 seconds.
Below are all victories by the Mariners on the night.
- 200 medley relay team of freshman Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.), Monahan, senior Jordan Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) and freshman Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) in 1:37.59
- 1000 free by Breschi in 10:04.99
- 200 free by freshman Kyle Pins (Fredericksburg, Va.) in 1:55.11
- 50 free by junior Matheus Macedo (Elk Grove, Calif.) in 22.72
- 200 individual medley by freshman Daniel Fry (Peachtree Corners, Ga.) in 2:03.89
- One-meter dive (6) by McMillan in 261.08
- 100 butterfly by Breschi in 55.54
- 100 free by Monahan in 48.28
- 100 backstroke by C. Weaver in 58.13
- 500 free by freshman Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.) in 5:04.66
- One-meter dive (5) by McMillan in 197.03
- 100 breaststroke by C. Weaver in 1:04.82
- 200 free relay team of Welch, sophomore Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.), Monahan and freshman Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.) in 1:30.60
And, as promised, below were the first-place finishes from Friday night's road Skyline win over Old Westbury.
- 200 medley relay by sophomore Matthew Stegen (Mandeville, La.), M. Moore, sophomore Zachary Hess (Vernon, Conn.) and D. Moore (1:46.86)
- 1000 free by D. Moore in 10:49.75
- 200 free by sophomore Maximilian Haubrich (Grayslake, Ill.) in 1:56.38
- 200 individual medley by Macedo in 2:16.17
- 200 fly by M. Moore in 2:05.12
- 100 free by Macedo in 50.34
- 200 back by Haubrich in 2:10.13
- 500 free by junior Bryce Carroll (Wellsville, Pa.) in 5:22.57
- 200 breast by Macedo in 2:35.13
The Mariners are done competing for the calendar year and will return to action on Tuesday night, Jan. 2, 2018, when they host Division I opponent Villanova University. First event is scheduled for 4 p.m. at the O'Hara Hall Pool. A live video feed of the meet will be available with a link on the USMMA Men's Swimming & Diving Schedule Page closer to the date of the event.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!