Men’s Lacrosse Falls In Non-Conference Action Tuesday To WestConn, 11-8

Men’s Lacrosse Falls In Non-Conference Action Tuesday To WestConn, 11-8

Box Score

KINGS POINT, N.Y. (March 31, 2015) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's lacrosse team dropped a non-conference game on Tuesday night to Western Connecticut State, 11-8, at Brooks Stadium. With the loss, the Mariners fall to 3-5 overall on the season, while the Colonials pick up their first victory and improve to 1-8.

Senior Geoff Harty (Chicago, Ill.) led USMMA with five goals in the game, while classmate Troy Smith (Deer Park, Texas) had two tallies and freshman Pat Coll (Clifton Park, N.Y.) also found the back of the net. Sophomore Chris Whitenack (East Meadow, N.Y.) was 19-for-22 on faceoffs with a game-high 14 groundballs.

Senior Alex Peyreigne (Weston, Conn.) made nine saves between the pipes for the Mariners and also caused two turnovers. Senior Kyle Sammis (Dix Hills, N.Y.) had six groundballs and two caused turnovers.

For WestConn, junior John Foristall led all players with seven points on five goals and two assists. Senior Anthony Nejame registered two goals and added one helper and four other Colonials chipped in with a goal each. Senior goalie Kevin Seery made seven saves in the winning effort.

Smith scored his first of the game just under two and a half minutes into action on an unassisted tally. Western Connecticut responded with a goal two minutes later to tie the score, but Coll scored his seventh of the season at 7:38 to put USMMA back ahead, 2-1. Back-to-back goals by Nejame, including one with just 52 seconds remaining in the opening quarter gave the visitors the lead for the first time on the night, 3-2.

In the second quarter, Merchant Marine scored two unanswered as Smith tallied his second of the game and sixth of the season followed by Harty's first of the night, assisted by Coll, at 9:33 to give the Mariners a 4-3 advantage. Foristall recorded his first of the game at 8:37 to tie the score and just 18 seconds later, the Colonials went ahead again. Harty tied the score at 5-all 12 seconds later, however, connecting on a feed from Whitenack, who won the faceoff and created the opportunity right away. Two goals very late in the second quarter by Foristall put WestConn ahead 7-5 into the halftime break.

The Mariners tried to play catch-up in the third quarter, but each time they scored, the visitors responded with one of their own until the score was 9-7. Then with just four seconds remaining in the third, Foristall scored his fifith goal of the night to put the Colonials on top, 10-7. In the final quarter, Harty scored his fifth of the game, but WestConn responded with the game's final tally of the night at 4:10.

Merchant Marine returns to action this Saturday, April 4, with a road game at Landmark Conference opponent Elizabethtown. Game time is scheduled for 3 p.m. at the Blue Jays' Wolf Field.