Despite Fast Start, USMMA Can’t Pull Out A Win Against Susquehanna

Despite Fast Start, USMMA Can’t Pull Out A Win Against Susquehanna

The United States Merchant Marine Academy's lacrosse team (3-5, 0-2) was defeated 14-9 this afternoon by the Crusaders of Susquehanna University (5-4, 1-1) at Brooks Stadium in Kings, Point, NY.

Despite scoring the first three goals of the game, costly penalties by the Mariners totaling 11 minutes gave Susquehanna an abundance of extra-man opportunities.   The Crusaders capitalized on 5 of their 12 chances to steal momentum away from Kings Point and secure victory.

USMMA was led in scoring by junior attacker Michael Ackerman who scored a goal and added four helpers.  Freshman attacker Geoff Harty, sophomore attacker Brett Crawford, and senior captain Tyler Spaulding each scored two goals apiece.  Junior goalkeeper Matt Kantor played the first three quarters for the Mariners giving up 12 goals while facing 20 shots on net.  He was relieved in the fourth period by freshman Alex Peyreigne who stopped two of the four shots he faced.

For the Crusaders, senior midfielder Tim Pastore and sophomore attacker Pete Doelp each had five points.  Senior goalkeeper John Daney picked up the win stopping 10 of 19 shots on goal.

Kings Point scored three goals in the first four minutes of play.  However, momentum swiftly shifted when a two minute, non-releasable, spearing call was made on senior captain Vincent Acquavita.  The Crusaders scored one goal with a man advantage on this opportunity and another after an Illegal Body Check was called on senior captain Kevin Dwyer, tying the game at three with 13:24 left to play in the second quarter.

Susquehanna would score two more goals before Crawford netted his first of the season to bring the Mariners within one halfway through the period.  Neither team would hit the back of the net in the final seven minutes of the second, maintaining a score of 5-4 in favor of the Crusaders at the half.

Susquehanna exploded for seven goals in the third quarter, which accounted for half of their total in the contest.  Even though the Mariners quickly grabbed two of the first three goals to knot the game at six, three minutes into the second half, once again, penalties shifted the momentum back to the side of the Crusaders.  A two minute cross checking penalty around the nine minute mark sparked a string of six unanswered goals by Susquehanna from which Kings Point could not recover.  The Mariners outscored Susquehanna in the fourth quarter, but it wasn't enough to overcome the deficit.

Kings Point will play again Wednesday March, 28 at home against Manhattanville (1-6) College at 7:00 PM.