Mariners Lose a Tough One in OT

Mariners Lose a Tough One in OT

The United States Merchant Marine Academy's lacrosse team (0-2) was defeated in overtime Saturday afternoon by a score of 9-8, by Fairleigh Dickinson University (1-0) in Madison, New Jersey.

The Mariners jumped out to an early lead scoring the game's first three goals.  Junior midfielder Joseph Purcell had two goals in the period as Kings Point took a 3-0 lead heading into the second. 

It wasn't until the 8:22 mark of the second period that FDU responded with a goal of their own when junior midfielder Cory Weiss hit the back of the twine to get the Devils on the board.  The Mariners re-gained momentum less than a minute later when freshman attacker Jeff Harty scored to stretch the lead back to three.  Both teams would trade goals for the remainder of the period as USMMA took a 5-3 lead into halftime.

Kings Point was able to establish their lead by dominating the faceoff circle in the first half, winning 8 out of 10.  They also took advantage of pouncing on ground balls, grabbing 16 of 26 in the half.

Each team netted a single goal in the third period.  USMMA senior attacker Sean Zakow extended their lead to a three goal margin roughly halfway through the period; but FDU countered with a goal in the closing seconds to reduce their deficit to two heading into the final frame.  

The Mariners scored two quick goals in the fourth to gain control of the game and open up an 8-4 lead, their largest of the afternoon.  However, FDU soon went on a tear, doubling their score in the final 13 minutes of play to force overtime. 

The Devils were able to take control in the second half by dominating the two possession categories which favored the Mariners in the first two quarters.  In the third and fourth quarters, FDU went 6 of 10 from the faceoff circle and controlled 16 of 27 ground balls.

The final shot which won the game for the Devils came off the stick of sophomore midfielder Jake Higgins, sending the Mariners home with a stunning defeat.

Junior midfielder/attacker Delaney Oksman led Kings Point in scoring with a goal and three assists and junior midfielder Sean Sheehy contributed to the possession game winning 11 of 19 face-offs and scooping up a team high seven ground balls.

Junior goalkeeper Matt Kantor started the game for USMMA and played the entire first half allowing three goals on seven shots.  Freshman goalkeeper Alex Peyreigne took the loss replacing Kantor at the start of the second half allowing six goals on 12 shots.

The Devils were led in scoring by Higgins who collected three goals including the game winner.  Freshman goalkeeper Gerry Yotcoski picked up the win stopping 9 of the 17 shots he faced. 

USMMA will hit the road once again as they travel to Texas for a pair of games against Southwestern and Dallas March 4th and 5th before opening at home against SUNY Maritime on March 14th