KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Oct. 15, 2019) – The NEWMAC Conference announced the weekly award winners for football on Tuesday morning and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy senior kicker Gavin Gartner (Cedar Park, Texas) was selected as the league's Special Teams Athlete of the Week after his efforts in the Mariners' 30-20 road win up at Norwich this past Saturday.
Gartner tied his career-best with three field goals, as he was a perfect 3-for-3 on the day, putting the ball through the uprights from 40 yards, 31 yards and 20 yards. The senior also nailed his only extra point attempt of the day for the Mariners' final point.
For the complete release from the NEWMAC, click here.
Gartner is one of three Mariners that rank in the top-25 individually among all NCAA Division III football student-athletes in a statistical category, as his 1.40 field goals per game are good for seventh in the nation. Senior wide receiver and return specialist Joe Vitelli (Warrington, Pa.) is the national leader with 193.60 all-purpose yards per game and also ranks fourth in the country with 534 combined kick yards. Also, sophomore linebacker Eric Davidson (Savannah, Ga.) is 25th in the nation with 0.6 interceptions per game.
As a team, the Mariners rank in the top-25 among all DIII teams in 13 categories listed below.
- They are the national leaders in Rushing Offense with 361.4 yards per game and are also tied for first in the country with zero Blocked Punts Allowed.
- They rank second in Punt Return Defense, allowing zero yards per return, and are also second in Time of Possession (37:05).
- They are sixth in Fourth-Down Conversion Percentage, converting on 77.8% of their chances.
- They rank seventh in First Downs Offense (138) and Passing Yards per Completion (17.85).
- They are 10th in Passes Had Intercepted (1) and Rushing Defense allowing 60 yards per game.
- They rank 13th in Total Offense (479.2 yards per game).
- They are 14th in Kickoff Return Defense (13.97 yards per return).
- They rank 15th in Team Passing Efficiency (179.06)
- They are 16th in Scoring Offense (44 points per game)
For the Mariners' updated NCAA Statistical Rankings Summary, follow this link. (Note: Team rankings are on page 1 and individual rankings are on page 2.)
The Mariners (4-1, 3-0 NEWMAC) host Springfield College (3-3, 2-1 NEWMAC) this Saturday, Oct. 19 beginning at 2 p.m. at Brooks Stadium. Live links to follow along will be available on the USMMA Football Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Football News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA football team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Football E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!