KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Oct. 7, 2019) – The NEWMAC Conference announced the weekly award winners for football on Monday and U.S. Merchant Marine Academy freshman defensive lineman Colton Ray (Bellevue, Ohio) was chosen as the league's Co-Defensive Athlete of the Week. The honor comes after his performance in the Mariners' exciting 35-29 double-overtime victory over MIT at home this past Saturday.
The rookie nose guard led Merchant Marine with 10 tackles in the win. He was quick to get through the Engineers' O-Line, as he recorded three sacks on the day that dropped them back a combined 22 yards. Ray also forced a first-quarter fumble that set the Mariners' up for their first touchdown of the day and had one quarterback hurry.
For the complete release from the NEWMAC, click here.
Additionally, the NCAA weekly stat rankings were released on Sunday and the Mariners rank in the top-25 in the nation in the multiple categories listed below.
- Blocked Punts Allowed - Rank: first with zero
- Rushing Offense - Rank: first with 393.5 yards per game
- Time of Possession - Rank: fourth with 35:48
- Punt Return Defense - Rank: fifth with 0.0 yards allowed per return
- Passing Yards per Completion - Rank: sixth with 18.23 yards per completion
- Scoring Offense - Rank: eighth with 47.5 points scored per game
- Total Offense - Rank: eighth with 512.0 yards per game
- 4th Down Conversion Pct. - Rank: 11th with a 76.9% conversion percentage
- Kickoff Return Defense - Rank: 11th with 12.52 yards per return
- Passes Had Intercepted - Rank: 14th with one
- First Downs Offense - Rank: 15th with 113
- Sacks Allowed - Rank: 16th with 0.75 per game
- Team Passing Efficiency - Rank: 17th with 174.2
- Tackles for Loss Allowed - Rank: 23rd with 4.25 allowed per game
- Kickoff Returns - Rank: 24th with 24.64 yards per return
Individually, senior Joe Vitelli (Warrington, Pa.) ranks second in the nation in two categories with 202.75 all-purpose yards per game and a total of 470 combined kick return yards.
For the Mariners' updated NCAA Statistical Rankings Summary, follow this link. (Note: Team rankings are on page 1 and individual rankings are on page 2.)
The Mariners will travel up to Northfield, Vt., on Saturday, Oct. 12, for a big matchup against Norwich (4-1, 1-1 NEWMAC). Kickoff is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Cadets' Sabine Field. Live links to follow along are available on the USMMA Football Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Football News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA football team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Football E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!