Photo by Leon Skov.
WAYNE, N.J. (April 9, 2019) – The USMMA baseball team's road game at William Paterson on Tuesday featured two lightning delays that totaled 81 minutes and was then called early due to darkness with the Mariners coming out on top of the Pioneers, 6-2, in seven innings. The win was Merchant Marine's 12th-straight and improves their record to 20-7, while WPU falls to 15-9.
- Freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) got the start and tossed three shutout innings, allowing just three hits while striking out two.
- Freshman Billy Todd (Gastonia, N.C.) tossed 2.1 innings, giving up two runs on four hits with one K.
- The victory went to sophomore Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.), who threw one shutout inning and allowed just three hits. He moves to 4-0 on the year.
- Senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) earned his sixth save of the season, finishing out the final two outs of the seventh with one strikeout.
- Five Mariners had multi-hit games, with the first four batters in the lineup all recording two hits each – Aichele, senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan), sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) and Cunningham. Freshman Joshua Costlow (Lithia, Fla.) recorded the other two-hit day for USMMA, as he also had one of two extra-base hits for Merchant Marine with a double. Senior Tyler Mowry (Peachtree City, Ga.) had the other, also a double.
- The Mariners got on the board first with three runs in the top of the third – Cunningham knocked in Alteri with a single, followed by junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) driving in Reinebold with a single and then Mowry getting an RBI groundout to bring in Alteri.
- They tacked on one more run in the fourth on a sacrifice fly by Alteri that plated sophomore Colin Baker (Clyde Hill, Wash.).
- The Pioneers cut the lead in half in the bottom of the fourth on an RBI groundout and an RBI single.
- The Mariners closed out the scoring in the top of the seventh with two runs on an RBI single by Costlow that scored Cunningham and then another RBI single by freshman Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.) that brought Mundorf in to make it 6-2.
Up next, the Mariners will host Skyline-rival SUNY Maritime this Saturday, April 13, for a key conference doubleheader. First pitch of game one is scheduled for 12-noon at Lower Roosevelt Field. Live stats and a live video feed of the twin-bill will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!