FISHKILL, N.Y. (March 30, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy baseball team swept a Skyline Conference doubleheader at Mount St. Mary College on Saturday at Dutchess Stadium. The Mariners won the first game by the final of 3-1 and were victorious in the second, 8-1. The victories improve USMMA's record to 12-7 (4-2 Skyline), while the Knights fall to 8-7 (2-4 Skyline).
Senior Andrew Spinnenweber (Pasadena, Md.) got the victory in the second game, which puts his career total at 16 wins and establishes a new Academy record as he passed former Mariner Ben Earnest '04 (15 wins). Also making some Academy history was senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.), who became the career-leader with six saves after he closed out the first game. He passed Mike McVay '92 and Andy Martin '12, who had five each.
Game 1 Highlights
- Sophomore lefty Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) got the start and tossed eight innings of one-run ball, allowing five hits and striking out 10 to move to 3-0 on the season.
- Cunningham pitched a scoreless ninth, walking one and striking out another for the save.
- The Knights got on the board first in the bottom of the third on an RBI groundout.
- The Mariners had just three hits through six innings, but finally broke through in the seventh. Freshman Joshua Costlow (Lithia, Fla.) led off with a single and then was moved over on a sacrifice bunt by sophomore Colin Baker (Clyde Hill, Wash.). After a wild pitch got Costlow to third, freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) tied the game up with a triple to right. The Knights changed pitchers, but senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan) plated Aichele on a sacrifice fly to give the Mariners the lead, 2-1.
- The visitors tacked on one more run in the eighth, again by Aichele, as the freshman phenom singled to right to score classmate Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.).
- Aichele finished the game 2-for-4 with two RBIs and a run, while Costlow, Baker and Cunningham also had two-hit games. Cunningham had a double in the ninth.
Game 2 Highlights
- The two teams combined for just two hits (both by Mount St. Mary) through the first three innings.
- The Mariners opened the scoring with three runs in the fourth on an RBI single by Cunningham that scored sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.), a dropped third-strike that plated Cunningham and then a single up the middle by Costlow that brought in sophomore Alex Mesaros (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
- Merchant Marine broke the game open in the fifth with four more runs – three on RBI singles by Reinebold, Cunningham and junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) and another on an error.
- After tacking on one more run in the sixth on an infield single by Alteri that scored Baker, the Mariners allowed their only run against in the bottom of the seventh.
- Spinnenweber got his record victory after hurling a complete game, giving up just a run on six hits with 13 strikeouts.
The Mariners are right back at it tomorrow, Sunday, March 31, for Senior Day at home against Skyline opponent Yeshiva University. First pitch of the conference doubleheader is scheduled for 12-noon at Lower Roosevelt Field. Live links for both games will be available on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!