Photo courtesy of Axcess Baseball.
PATCHOGUE, N.Y. (March 24, 2019) – The USMMA baseball team split a pair of 9-4 decisions with Skyline opponent St. Joseph's-Long Island on Sunday. The games were played at the Golden Eagles' Alfano Field, but the Mariners were the "home team" for both contests. Merchant Marine's record moves to 9-7 (2-2 Skyline), while SJC's goes to 7-5 (1-1 Skyline).
Game 1 Highlights:
- Only one of the Mariners' four runs in the first game were via an RBI, as the first three that came across were all thanks to errors by St. Joe's and somewhat strategic base-running.
- After giving up a run in the top of the first, USMMA got one back in the bottom half thanks to an error on a failed pickoff at first base that allowed freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) to score from third.
- The Golden Eagles tacked on two more in the top of the fourth, but the Mariners got one back in the bottom half as senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) scored from third when junior Wyatt Wilson (Chandler, Ariz.) got into a run down with two outs, and Cunningham touched the plate before Wilson was tagged out.
- Again St. Joseph's brought two in, this time in the top of the seventh, and again Merchant Marine responded with a run in the bottom half of the inning on a very similar play where Wilson again got picked off and would've been out a first had it not been for an error, but junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) scampered home to make it 5-3.
- Keeping with the theme of the game, SJC scored twice more in the top of the eighth before the Mariners got their first RBI of the day when Wilson hit into a fielder's choice and sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) scored.
- The Golden Eagles closed out the scoring in the game with a two-run homer in the top of the ninth.
- Aichele, senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan) and sophomore Colin Baker (Clyde Hill, Wash.) all had two-hit games for USMMA, as Aichele had a double to lead off the bottom of the first for the Mariners.
- Junior Ben Kane (Huntington Beach, Calif.) got the start in the first game and tossed four innings, giving up three runs on six hits with one strikeout. He suffered the loss.
- Sophomore Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.) hurled 2.2 innings of relief and had two runs allowed (one earned) on four hits with two K's.
- Freshman Billy Todd (Gastonia, N.C.) finished the final 2.1 innings and allowed four runs (two earned) on five hits and striking out one.
- The Golden Eagles stole four bases in the contest to the Mariners' one.
Game 2 Highlights:
- Sophomore Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) got the start for the Mariners and tossed six innings, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits with 11 strikeouts. He improved to 2-0 on the season with the W.
- Merchant Marine batted around in the first inning, scoring eight runs and forcing the Golden Eagles to use three different pitchers – with the starter not even lasting one out and giving up five runs.
- Alteri had two doubles in the first, a one-RBI two-bagger that scored Aichele with the first run and then a two-RBI one later in the inning that plated Baker and freshman Zac Skov (San Clemente, Calif.).
- Cunningham knocked in two (Alteri and Reinebold) with a double after Alteri's first and then Mundorf singled in Cunningham to make it 4-0.
- Later in the inning, with the bases loaded, Baker knocked one out to right that plated Mundorf, then two batters later Reinebold drew a bases-loaded walk to bring home freshman Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.) before Alteri's second double rounded out the scoring at 8-1.
- The Mariners tacked on one more in the second on an RBI double by Scov that scored Mundorf.
- Raab found himself in some trouble in the sixth, as he walked two batters then hit one and walked another to bring in St. Joe's second run. The Golden Eagles added two more before the stud sophomore southpaw stuck out his 11th batter to end the threat.
- Reinebold, Alteri and Mundorf all had multi-hit games, Mundorf had two stolen bases and all but one starter scored a run for the Mariners.
- Junior Garrick Colorado (Williamsburg, Va.) finished out a 1-2-3 seventh on the mound with a game-ending strikeout.
The Mariners are back in action this Wednesday, March 27, for a home, non-conference game against John Jay beginning at 4 p.m. at Lower Roosevelt Field. Live stats and a live video feed of the game will be available on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!