KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Dec. 9, 2017) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy women's swimming & diving team won its Skyline Conference home dual meet over Sarah Lawrence on Saturday afternoon at the O'Hara Hall Pool, 132-76. With the victory, the Mariners improve to 4-0 (4-0 Skyline), while the visiting Gryphons fall to 5-2 (4-2 Skyline) in defeat.
USMMA won all but three events on the night. Impressive victories came from freshman Emily Orski (East Islip, N.Y.) in the 1000 free with a time of 11:53.25, which is a season-best time by four seconds, and sophomore Erica Lou (Flushing, N.Y.) in the 200 individual medley in 2:23.49, which also shaved off four seconds from her season-best.
Freshman Victoria Kirshner's (Santa Clarita, Calif.) second-place finish in the 100 backstroke in 1:02.89 was season-best by one second and junior Pamela Grod (Northbrook, Ill.) had a season-best time of 27.22 in the 50-free.
Below are all victories by the Mariners on the night.
- 200 medley relay by senior Liz Grove (Winchester, Va.), Lou, Kirshner and junior Ella Sherrill (Ketchikan, Alaska) in 1:56.90
- 1000 free by Orski in 11:53.25
- 200 free by sophomore Meika Gathy (Waterford, Conn.) in 2:07.70
- 50 free by Kirshner in 25.40
- 200 IM by Lou in 2:23.49
- One-meter dive (6) by junior Kara Korengel (Cincinnati, Ohio) in 192.00
- 100 butterfly by Lou in 1:06.88
- 100 free by Sherrill in 56.76
- 500 free by Gathy in 5:41.64
- One-meter dive (5) by Korengel in 223.88
And, as promised, below were the first-place finishes from Friday night's road Skyline wins over Old Westbury and St. Joseph's-L.I.
- 200 medley relay by Kirshner, Grove, Lou and Sherrill in 2:00.64
- 1000 free by Orski in 11:57.84
- 200 free by freshman Eliza Miller (Richmond, Ky.) in 2:13.89
- 200 IM by Kirshner in 2:19.38
- 200 fly by Miller in 2:34.68
- 200 backstroke by Grove in 2:23.85
- 500 free by Gathy in 5:43.22
- 200 breaststroke by Lou in 2:41.19
Receive USMMA Women's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA women's swimming & diving team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Women's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!