KINGS POINT, N.Y. (March 24, 2018) – The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) announced the end-of-the-season academic awards at the 2018 NCAA National Championships earlier this month and two USMMA wrestlers - junior Blake Bunce (Trophy Club, Texas) and sophomore Joshua Glantzman (Allenwood, N.J.) - earned spots on the 2017-18 NWCA Division III All-Academic Team.
In order to become an NWCA Scholar All-American, the following criteria must be met:
- The wrestler must have a GPA of 3.2 or greater for the previous academic year or have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or greater. Freshmen are eligible, and their GPA from the fall of 2017 must be above 3.2.
- The wrestler must have been at the current school for the entire 2017-18 school year
And the wrestlers must meet at least one of the following wrestling criteria:
- NCAA Qualifier with a winning record
- Finish in the top six at the NCAA regional while competing in at least half of the team's scheduled competitions and compiling a winning record
- Win at least 67% of his matches while competing in at least 50% of his team's scheduled competitions
Bunce is earning this accolade for the second time in his career, as he was also a Scholar All-American back in 2016-17. He was the lone Mariner to qualify for the NCAA National Championships in 2018 after a phenomenal junior campaign. Bunce earned third place at the 197lb. weight class at the NCAA Mideast Regional Meet and was the Centennial Conference runner-up at the conference championship meet. Earlier this month, Bunce also earned a pair of Academic Honors from the Centennial Conference.
Glantzman's sensational sophomore season was highlighted by claiming the Centennial Conference Individual Championship at the 174lb. He also earned a second alternate position to the NCAA National Championship with a fifth-place showing at the NCAA Mideast Regional Meet.
To view the complete list of NWCA Scholar All-Americans, click here.
Receive USMMA Wrestling News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA wrestling team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Wrestling E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!