KINGS POINT, N.Y. (March 16, 2017) – The National Wrestling Coaches Association (NWCA) announced the end-of-the-season academic awards on the final day of the 2017 NCAA National Championships this past weekend. Two USMMA wrestlers, senior Patrick Rooney (Belgrade, Minn.) and sophomore Blake Bunce (Trophy Club, Texas), were honored as NWCA Scholar All-Americans. Additionally, as a team, the Mariners ranked 13th in the nation for Team GPA.
In order to become an NWCA Scholar All-American, the following criteria must be met:
- The wrestler must have a GPA of 3.2 or greater for the previous academic year or have a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or greater. Freshmen are eligible, and their GPA from the fall of 2016 must be above 3.2.
- The wrestler must have been at the current school for the entire 2016-2017 school year
- The wrestlers must meet at least one of the following wrestling criteria
- NCAA Qualifier with a winning record
- Finish in the top six at the NCAA regional while competing in at least half of the team's scheduled competitions and compiling a winning record
- Win at least 67% of his matches while competing in at least 50% of his team's scheduled competitions
Bunce ended his sensational sophomore season with a fourth-place showing in the 197-pound bracket at the NCAA East Regional Championships. He finished the 2016-17 campaign with a 19-5 record. Bunce is a Marine Transportation major.
To view the complete list of NWCA Scholar All-Americans, click here.
The team GPA was calculated by averaging the GPAs of the ten regional starters plus as many as four other team members who competed in at least 50% of the team's scheduled competitions. This is the third-straight season that the Mariners have ranked in the Top 25 in the nation for Team GPA. The combined Team GPA of this year's squad was 3.24.
A complete list of the NWCA Top 30 Scholar Teams can be viewed at this link.
Receive USMMA Wrestling News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA wrestling team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Wrestling E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!