PURCHASE, N.Y. (Jan. 26, 2019 - UPDATED Jan. 29, 2019) – This past weekend, the USMMA men's swimming & diving team won the 2019 Skyline Conference Championship Meet, hosted by Purchase College Friday and Saturday. The Mariners compiled 878.5 points over the two-day event, beating out second-place SUNY Maritime (248) and third-place Sarah Lawrence (152).
It's the 21st-straight conference championship for Merchant Marine dating back to 1999 – the last 18 came under head coach Sean Tedesco – and it's a three-peat of the Skyline title since the Mariners re-joined the league back in 2016-17.
The Mariners set eight new meet records this weekend. They won 13 of the 16 events for a total of 19 First Team All-Conference performances (first-place finishers). There were also an additional 13 Second Team All-Conference performances (second-place finishers).
USMMA swept all three of the major awards for the student-athletes, as junior Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) was the men's Swimmer of the Year for the third-consecutive year, sophomore Gillem McMillan (Knoxville, Tenn.) won the Diver of the Year Award and freshman Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.) earned Rookie of the Year accolades.
Monahan won four individual events, including setting three new meet records and was part of the two first-place relay teams that also set new meet records. He won the 200 freestyle in a meet-record 1:43.75, the 100 breaststroke in a meet-record 57.51, the 200 breast in a meet-record 2:07.30 and the 200 individual medley in 1:57.85.
The two relay teams that he was a part of were the 200 medley team of senior Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.), Monahan, junior Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) and sophomore Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) which touched first in a meet-record 1:34.30, and the 400 free team of Welch, sophomore Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.), Weaver and Monahan which won in a meet-record 3:10.91.
McMillan set two meet records on Friday in the one-meter dive with a score of 512.55 and the three-meter dive with a 526.30. Both scores were also NCAA Qualifying Marks.
The following swimmers also won their respective events:
- Kahl in the 100 backstroke (52.59) and the 200 back (1:54.08)
- Welch in the 50 free (21.64)
- Dan Moore in the 100 free (47:09, a new meet-record)
- and Weaver in the 100 butterfly (52.84)
Listed below are the Second Team All-Skyline performances.
- 1,000 Free: Sophomore Jake Breschi (Perry Hall, Md.)
- 200 Free, 50 Free and 100 Fly: Dan Moore
- 100 Back, 200 Back and 500 Free: Mizell
- 100 Breast: Sophomore Jack Higgins (Needham, Mass.)
- One-Meter Dive and Three-Meter Dive: Senior Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.) - Curry's score of 438.90 in the one-meter board was an NCAA Qualifying Mark
- 100 Free: Welch
- 200 Breast: Freshman Patrick Tolloti (Dover, Ohio)
- 200 IM: Kahl
The following Mariners swam season-best times in their respective events.
- The 200 medley relay team
- 1,000 free - senior Bryce Carroll (Wellsville, Pa.) by four seconds; and Breschi by eight seconds
- 200 free - Welch by six seconds; junior Zachary Hess (Vernon, Conn.) by five seconds; junior Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.); Monahan by one second; and Dan Moore by five seconds
- 100 back - sophomore Daniel Fry (Peachtree Corners, Ga.) by three seconds; Weaver by one second; and freshman Micah McAnany (San Antonio, Texas)
- 100 breast - Carroll by 1.3 seconds; freshman Nathan Mathes (Anacortes, Wash.) by 1.5 seconds; Higgins by one second; and Monahan
- 200 fly - Hess by six seconds; sophomore Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) by three seconds; and Breschi by one second
- 50 free - Mathes by 0.2 seconds
- 100 free - McAnany by six seconds
- 200 back - Fry by two seconds; Weaver by two seconds
- 200 breast - Carroll by two seconds; sophomore Kyle Pins (Fredericksburg, Va.) by three seconds; and Mike Moore by two seconds
- 500 free - Mizell
- 100 fly - Welch by one second
- 200 IM – Carroll by one second; and Kahl
- The 400 free relay team by four seconds
For the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are back in action on Saturday, Feb. 2, when they host non-conference opponent Rowan University on Senior Day at the O'Hara Hall Pool. Action is set to get underway at 1 p.m. A live video feed of the meet will be available at this link.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swim & dive teams, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!