KINGS POINT, N.Y. (Jan. 11, 2019) – The U.S. Merchant Marine Academy men's swimming & diving team lost its home, non-conference matchup against #9 NYU on Friday night at the O'Hara Hall Pool by the final score of 149-94. In defeat, the Mariners fall to 4-1, while the Violets improve to 3-1.
USMMA won four of the 13 events on the night – starting things off with an exciting victory in the 400 medley relay with the team of senior Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.), juniors Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) and Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) and sophomore Jack Welch (Chesapeake, Va.) touching first with a time of 3:29.88.
Individually, Kahl won the 200 backstroke in 1:53.87, sophomore Daniel Moore (Riverview, Fla.) triumphed in the 50 freestyle in 21.66 and freshman Patrick Tolloti (Dover, Ohio) touched first in the 200 individually medley in 1:59.58.
The following Mariners hit season-best times on the night.
- The 400 medley relay team of Kahl, Monahan, Weaver and Welch by seven seconds (3:29.88)
- Welch anchoring that relay team with a season-best in the 100 free (47.03)
- Monahan in the 200 free (1:45.36) and the 200 breaststroke by four seconds (2:07.17)
- Freshman Matthew Mizell (Merritt Island, Fla.) in the 200 free by .5 seconds (1:48.13) and the 200 back by two seconds (1:57.96)
- Junior Michael Moore (Los Alamos, N.M.) in the 200 free by six seconds (1:48.17) and the 200 breast by two seconds (2:15.71)
- Tolloti in the 200 IM by two seconds (1:59.58) and the 200 breast by one second (2:09.61)
- Freshman John Jansen (Valrico, Fla.) in the 200 IM by two seconds (2:02.59)
- Sophomore Steven Rothe (Tucson, Ariz.) in the 200 butterfly by two seconds (2:07.67)
- Sophomore Daniel Fry (Peachtree Corners, Ga.) in the 500 free by 10 seconds (5:12.60)
On the diving side, senior Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.) had the Mariners' best finish, coming in second place in the one-meter board with a score of 270.68.
To view the complete results from the meet, click here.
The Mariners are right back in action tomorrow, Saturday, Jan. 12, when they play host to Skyline Conference opponent Mount St. Mary along with the women's squad. The first event of the day is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the O'Hara Hall Pool.
Receive USMMA Men's Swim & Dive News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA men's swim & dive team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Men's Swim & Dive E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!