USMMA Only Results
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Feb. 20, 2017) – Over this past weekend, the USMMA men's swimming & diving team competed in the annual Metropolitan Championships, hosted by Rutgers University. The Mariners had a phenomenal showing at the event by placing third in the field of 15 teams. The squad finished ahead of Division I St. Francis College and Division II schools Bridgeport and Queens College.
It was the Mariners' highest finish at the Met Championships since they came in second place back in 2011.
Three Mariners achieved four NCAA cuts over the weekend. Junior diver Adam Fisher (Edgerton, Wis.) hit the qualifying mark in the one-meter dive on Friday night with a score of 432.25, which was good for fourth place in the event. Senior Karl Sasse (Frederick, Md.) earned an NCAA B-Cut time of 56.56 as he came in second place in the 100 breaststroke on Saturday. On Sunday, Sasse hit a B-Cut time of 2:03.30 with a second-place showing in the 200 breast and classmate John Terselic (Tijera, N.M.) came in right behind Sasse with a third-place, NCAA B-Cut time and of 2:04.44.
Sasse and Terselic will now await the announcement of the invitations to the NCAA Division III Swimming & Diving National Championship Meet, which is expected the week before the event begins in mid-March. Fisher will travel up to Cambridge, Mass., this Friday-Saturday, Feb. 24-25, to compete in the NCAA DIII Diving Regionals, hosted by MIT. At regionals, Fisher will have an opportunity to make it through to the National Championships.
Below are more notes from the weekend.
Narrowly missing NCAA cuts:
- Freshman Caelin Weaver (Olive Branch, Miss.) just missed an NCAA cut in the 100 backstroke by .04, leading off the 400 Medley Relay B – going 50.58.
- Senior Joshua Jepsen (San Diego, Calif.) and freshman Maximilian Haubrich (Grayslake, Ill.) missed the NCAA cut in the 400 IM
- Sophomore Christopher Kahl (Solomons, Md.) in the 200 back
Top 8 Finalist (Top 24 score):
- 200 freestyle relay of sophomore Matheus Macedo (Elk Grove, Calif.), C. Weaver and freshmen Nolan Monahan (Stafford, Va.) and Justin Fu (Libertyville, Ill.) placed fourth
- Macedo placed eighth in 50 free
- 400 medley relay team of Kahl, Sasse, C. Weaver and Monahan placed fourth
- 200 medley relay of Kahl, Sasse, C. Weaver and Macedo placed third and just missed Academy Record by .02
- Sasse made an NCAA B-Cut in the prelims and finals of the 100 breast and placed second
- Terselic placed seventh in the 100 breast
- C. Weaver placed sixth and Kahl placed seventh in the 100 backstroke
- Senior Kevin Sweetman (Austin, Texas) placed seventh in the 1650 free
- Kahl placed third and Haubrich placed eighth in the 200 back
- Sasse placed second, Terselic placed third and Monahan placed seventh in the 200 breast
- 400 free relay placed 4th-Monahan, Weaver, Sasse, Macedo
- Fisher placed fourth on one-meter
- Sophomore Thomas Curry (Los Angeles, Calif.) placed seventh on one-meter
- Sophomore Dave Argueta (Englewood, N.J.) placed eighth on one-meter
- Fisher placed fourth on three-meter
- Senior Jordan Kendall (Winter Haven, Fla.) placed 5th on three-meter
- Curry placed seventh on three-meter