FARMINGDALE, N.Y. (May 6, 2019) – The USMMA baseball team lost two games on the second day of the Skyline Conference double-elimination tournament on Monday at Farmingdale State. In the opener, the Mariners rallied late, but were edged by the top-seeded Rams, 5-4, in 12 innings. Merchant Marine then lost the elimination game against #3-seed Old Westbury, 8-4. The Mariners end the season with a 28-11 record.
Game 1 Highlights
- The Rams got on the board first with three runs in the top of the third inning. They added one more in the fifth to go up 4-0.
- USMMA cut the deficit in half with a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth – the first on an RBI double by sophomore Colin Baker (Clyde Hill, Wash.) that plated junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.), and the second on a sacrifice fly by freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) the brought in senior Tyler Mowry (Peachtree City, Ga.).
- The Mariners completed the rally in the bottom of the ninth and forced extra-innings after senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan) knocked in two on a bases-loaded single scoring junior Matthew Austin (Rockledge, Fla.) and freshman Zach Coutts (Grand Junction, Colo.). The game-winning run was stranded at second base.
- After Farmingdale went ahead with a run in the top of the 12th, the Mariners threatened in the bottom half of the inning with a one-out bunt single by sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) followed by a single by freshman Noah Herdman (Naperville, Ill.) that put runners on the corners with Alteri representing the tying run at third. However, the Rams were able to induce a foul-out and a groundout to end the game.
- Sophomore Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) got the start for Merchant Marine and pitched eight innings, giving up four runs on five hits with seven strikeouts. Classmate Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.) suffered the loss after tossing four innings of one-run ball with four hits allowed and one K.
- Mundorf went 3-for-6 in the game, while Aichele, Alteri and Mowry all had two hits each.
Game 2 Highlights
- Old Westbury opened the scoring with a run in the bottom of the first, but USMMA answered with an RBI single by freshman Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.) in the top of the second that plated sophomore Alex Mesaros (Pittsburgh, Pa.).
- After the Panthers added another run in the bottom of the second, the Mariners tied it up with another RBI single by Reddick in the fourth that scored Mundorf.
- Merchant Marine took a 3-2 lead in the top of the fifth on a sacrifice fly by Mesaros that brought in Alteri.
- OW saw three runs come across in the bottom of the sixth, however, as the Panthers went ahead 5-3.
- The Mariners got one back in the top of the seventh when Herdman scored on an infield single by Mundorf, but that was all the Mariner offense could muster.
- The Panthers added three more runs to get more of a cushion in the bottom of the eighth before a 1-2-3 top of the ninth ended it.
- Senior John Kelly Jr. (Apex, N.C.) suffered the loss after hurling 5.1 innings, giving up five runs on 10 hits. Junior Garrick Colorado (Williamsburg, Va.) tossed 1.2 scoreless innings of relief allowing just one hit and striking out two, and senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) was the final pitcher to toe the mound for the Mariners, getting one out in the eighth on a strikeout.
- Alteri and Reddeck both had a team-high three hits each, while Herdman, Mesaros and Mundorf all had two hits apiece.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!