Photo by Leon Skov.
KINGS POINT, N.Y. (April 16, 2019) – The Skyline Conference announced on Monday that U.S. Merchant Marine Academy sophomore Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.) was named to the league's weekly honor roll for baseball for the week ending April 14. The recognition comes after his performances in two of the Mariners' three wins last week in a 3-2 week for the squad.
Hunt earned two victories on the mound, as he tossed a scoreless inning of relief on Wednesday in USMMA's 6-2 darkness-shortened victory at William Paterson, and then fired 4.2 strong innings in an emergency situation on Saturday in a 4-3 home win over SUNY Maritime, giving up a run on three hits with five strikeouts. He now sits at a team-best 5-0 on the season.
For the complete release from the Skyline Conference, click here.
Hunt's five wins ranks second in the Skyline Conference and 50th in the nation. Five other Mariners rank in the top-30 in the country in a statistical category. They are listed below.
- Senior Andrew Spinnenweber (Pasadena, Md.) is eighth in the nation with 0.81 walks and hits per innings pitched (WHIP), while also ranking ninth with a 1.00 ERA, 11th with 13.5 strikeouts per nine innings and 14th with 5.0 hits allowed per nine innings.
- Classmate Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) ranks fourth among all Division III pitchers with eight saves.
- Fellow senior Jesse Reinebold's (Sagamihara, Japan) 52 hits are eighth in the country.
- Sophomore Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) ranks 22nd in the nation with 12.55 strikeouts per nine innings.
- And classmate Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) ranks 28th in Division III with 49 hits.
As a team, the Mariners rank in the top-25 among all DIII team in eight different categories listed below.
- Second in the nation with 20 triples
- Fifth in the country with 0.65 triples per game
- 13th in DIII with a .338 batting average
- 15th in the nation with 348 hits
- 18th in the country with 9.2 strikeouts per nine innings
- 21st in DIII with 74 stolen bases
- 22nd in the nation with a 3.20 ERA
- And 22nd in the country with a .422 on-base percentage
To view the Mariners' complete NCAA ranking summary, follow this link. (Note: Team rankings are on page 1, while individual rankings are on page 2.)
The Mariners will travel to the College of Staten Island tomorrow, Wednesday, April 17, for a non-conference game at the Dolphins' CSI Baseball Complex. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. Live stats and a live video feed of the game will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."