Photo by Leon Skov.
KINGS POINT, N.Y. (April 13, 2019) – The USMMA baseball team had its 12-game winning streak snapped after dropping the first game of Saturday's home Skyline doubleheader to rival SUNY Maritime, 6-3, but the Mariners rebounded to defeat the Privateers, 3-2, in the second game to earn a split of the twin-bill. Merchant Marine's record moves to 21-8 (11-3 Skyline), while Maritime moves to 17-13 (8-4 Skyline).
Game 1 Highlights
- The Mariners opened the scoring in the bottom of the first inning on an RBI single by sophomore Alex Mesaros (Pittsburgh, Pa.) that plated classmate Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.).
- They doubled their lead in the bottom of the second when freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.) brought in sophomore Colin Baker (Clyde Hill, Wash.) with a single up the middle.
- The Privateers tied the game up in the top of the third on a two-RBI triple by sophomore Travis Zurita.
- SUNY Maritime added a run in both the fourth and fifth innings on a sacrifice fly by sophomore Mosca and then a homer by Zurita.
- USMMA got one back in the seventh on a double by senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan) that scored Aichele to make it 4-3.
- Junior starter Ben Kane (Huntington Beach, Calif.) made the start and pitched seven innings, giving up four runs on six hits with five strikeouts. He moves to 3-3 after suffering the loss.
- The Privateers added two more runs in the top of the ninth off of junior Garrick Colorado (Williamsburg, Va.), who tossed 1.1 innings, giving up the two runs on two hits with two Ks.
- Freshman Billy Todd (Gastonia, N.C.) closed out the final two outs in the top of the ninth, giving up a hit and a walk.
- Senior A.J. Ammirati earned the win for SUNY Maritime, tossing six innings and giving up three runs (two earned) on seven hits with four strikeouts. Junior Matthew Paghidas earned the save after closing out the final three shutout innings with two hits allowed and three Ks.
- Reinebold, Alteri and Mesaros all had two hits for the Mariners in the opener.
Game 2 Highlights
- Senior Andrew Spinnenweber (Pasadena, Md.) got the start, but had to leave early after getting hit with a line drive in the top of the second. He struck out two batters and allowed a hit and a walk in one inning pitched.
- The Mariners took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the third on a sacrifice fly by senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) that brought Aichele in, followed by Alteri scoring from third on a passed ball.
- In the next half-inning, Zurita hit his second home run of the day for the Privateers to cut the Mariner lead in half.
- After getting out of a huge bases-loaded jam in the top of the sixth, the Mariners produced a very important insurance run when Reinebold knocked in Aichele with a single in the bottom half of the inning.
- The Privateers threatened again in the top of the seventh, scoring a two-out run on a single by Matt Eng to make it 3-2, but they left the tying run in scoring position after Cunningham caught Zurita looking for a huge strikeout to end the game.
- Sophomore pitcher Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.) settled in after coming in in an emergency situation and tossed 4.2 innings, giving up just one run on three hits with five strikeouts. He moves to a team-best 5-0 on the season with the victory.
- Cunningham got the Mariners out of the jam in the sixth and finished with 1.1 innings pitched, allowing one run on three hits with three Ks. He earned his seventh save of the season.
- The Mariners had just five hits in the game, with Alteri picking up his second two-hit game of the day. He also stole two bases in the second game, while junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.) had the Mariners' other stolen base.
The Mariners are right back at it tomorrow, Sunday, April, 14, with a Skyline doubleheader on the road at Old Westbury. Please note that the start time of the doubleheader has been moved up to 11 a.m. at the Panthers' Jackie Robinson Athletic Complex. Live stats and a live video feed of the twin-bill will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!