PURCHASE, N.Y. (April 6, 2019) – The USMMA baseball team swept a Skyline doubleheader up at Purchase College on Saturday, winning the first game 8-5 in 13 innings before taking the second via a slim 1-0 decision. The Mariners, who have now won nine-straight games, improve to 17-7 (8-2 Skyline), while the Panthers fall to 12-8 (3-3 Skyline) with the losses.
Game 1 Highlights
- The Mariners opened the scoring in the top of the third inning on an RBI fielder's choice by sophomore Vincenzo Alteri (Watertown, N.Y.) that plated classmate Colin Baker (Clyde Hill, Wash.).
- After the Panthers tied the score up at 1-1 in the bottom of the sixth, Merchant Marine answered right back in the next half-inning with a run on a triple by senior Jesse Reinebold (Sagamihara, Japan) that scored freshman Garrett Aichele (Bainbridge Island, Wash.).
- USMMA added two more runs in the top of the eighth on a single by freshman Griffin Reddeck (Fort Mill, S.C.) that brought in sophomore Alex Mesaros (Pittsburgh, Pa.) and a sacrifice fly by senior Tyler Mowry (Peachtree City, Ga.) that plated junior Matt Mundorf (San Luis Obispo, Calif.).
- Purchase rallied for three runs to tie the score up in the bottom of the eighth, and then after a scoreless ninth, the teams headed to extras tied at 4-4.
- Senior starter John Kelly Jr. (Apex, N.C.) pitched into the eighth inning and ended the day with 7.0 IP, allowing four runs (three earned) on six hits with four strikeouts. He did not factor into the decision.
- The Mariners scored four times in the top of the 13th – Reinebold singled up the middle to bring in Aichele, Mundorf had a two-RBI double that plated Alteri and senior Kyle Cunningham (Panama City Beach, Fla.) and Reddeck doubled to score Mundorf.
- Sophomore Andrew Hunt (Severna Park, Md.) tossed five innings of relief and earned the victory, as he moves to 3-0 on the season. He allowed no runs on just one hit with three strikeouts.
- Cunningham pitched the bottom of the 13th, giving up an unearned run on one hit with one strikeout.
- Mundorf finished the game batting 4-for-6 with two doubles, while Reinebold was 3-for-6 with a triple.
- Four other Mariners had multi-hit games, Aichele (2-for-6), Alteri (2-for-7), Reddeck (2-for-7) and Baker (2-for-7).
Game 2 Highlights
- Spinnenweber was masterful once again, as he tossed all seven innings, allowing just four hits with seven strikeouts. His record improves to 4-0 and his ERA drops to 1.03 on the year.
- The only run support he got was on a sacrifice fly by Reinebold in the third inning that brought in Baker.
- The Mariners mustered just six hits in the game, with freshman Zac Skov (San Clemente, Calif.) recording the only multi-hit game, as he went 2-for-3 with a double. Baker (1-for-3) also had a double to lead off the third.
The Mariners are right back at it tomorrow, Sunday, April 7, with a Skyline doubleheader at home against Mount St. Vincent beginning at 12-noon at Lower Roosevelt Field. Live stats and a live video feed of the twin-bill will be available with links on the USMMA Baseball Schedule Page.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!