KINGS POINT, N.Y. (April 10, 2018) – On Monday, the Skyline Conference announced that a pair of USMMA baseball players were selected to the league's weekly honor roll – junior pitcher Andrew Spinnenweber (Pasadena, Md.) and senior designated hitter Bryson Campbell (Cool, Calif.). The kudos comes after the duo helped lead the Mariners to a 4-1 week (3-1 Skyline) over five games last week.
Spinnenweber tossed a complete game shutout to help lead the Mariners over SUNY Maritime in the second game of their Skyline doubleheader on Sunday. He allowed just five Privateer hits while striking out 10 batters. It was his fifth-straight start with double-digit strikeouts and he moved to 5-1 on the season. Spinnenweber closed the game out with a big strikeout with the tying run in scoring position in the bottom of the 7th.
Campbell led the Mariners with a .500 hitting percentage, a .750 slugging percentage and a .556 on-base percentage, while knocking in four runs and scoring four times over the five games last week. He had back-to-back two-RBI games against New Rochelle on Thursday and Old Westbury on Saturday and was also a perfect 4-for-4 in stolen bases on the week.
Spinnenweber and Campbell are two of five Mariners that rank in the top-25 in a statistical category among all Division III players in the country. Spinnenweber is in the top-25 in five categories – tied with six other pitchers for third with four complete games, fifth with 14.90 strikeouts per nine innings, 13th with 64 strikeouts and a 0.78 WHIP and 19th with a 10.67 strikeout to walk ratio. Campbell is 23rd in the nation with four sacrifice flies.
The three other Mariners ranked in the top-25 are listed below.
- Freshman Joe Raab (Edwardsburg, Mich.) in six categories – tied for ninth with six wins, 10th with three complete games, 19th with 12.86 strikeouts per nine innings, 22nd with 60 strikeouts and a 0.83 WHIP and 25th with a 1.07 ERA.
- Senior Michael Barnes (Alexandria, Va.) is tied for 14th in the nation with four triples.
- and senior Jacob Sithong (Orlando, Fla.) ranks 15th in the country with 0.86 stolen bases per game, while his 18 total stolen bases are good for 17th.
As a team, USMMA ranks in the top-15 out of all Division III baseball programs in the country in eight categories. They are listed below.
- Fifth with 87 stolen bases
- Sixth with 3.48 stolen bases per game
- Eighth with 10.4 strikeouts per nine innings
- 10th with four shutouts
- 11th with a 3.52 strikeout to walk ratio
- 12th in three categories – 19 sacrifice flies, a 1.20 WHIP and a .840 win percentage
The Mariners will travel to Wayne, N.J., this afternoon for a non-conference contest against William Paterson University. First pitch is scheduled for 3:45 p.m. at the Pioneers' Jeff Albies Field. Live stats for the game will be available at this link.
Receive USMMA Baseball News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!