KINGS POINT, N.Y. (April 5, 2019) – To celebrate NCAA Division III Week, the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (S.A.A.C.) caught up with some of the top senior student-athletes at the Academy to find out why they chose to compete at the Division III level at USMMA. Our final spotlight of "#D3Week" is with tennis senior Daniel Zakrevski (Forest Hills, N.Y.).
Zakrevski has been a part of USMMA tennis teams that captured the ECAC Championship during his freshman season in 2016 and then finished the 2018 season as the Skyline runners-up. He is currently the Mariners top flight for singles competition and part of the top flight for doubles. He just recently was named the Skyline Men's Tennis Player of the Week this past Monday.
Off the courts, Zakrevski is one of the top students in his class, as he ranks among the top 5% of the Class of 2019. He has also served as the Regimental Honor Board's Education Officer within USMMA's Regiment of Midshipmen.
What made you choose to come to the Academy?
I was not sure about what I wanted to do after graduation, but knew that I wanted to serve the U.S. in some capacity. I looked at many institutions, including in-state colleges, out-of-state colleges, private universities and service academies. All the other schools seemed to either narrow my options post-graduation or did not allow me the opportunity to serve. Additionally, many of the schools were Division I and would not allow me to continue my passions of tennis and hockey in an official capacity. Kings Point was a no-brainer.
What have you learned while here?
Where do I start? Time management, leadership, integrity, teamwork and an incredible amount about systems engineering from Sea Year, just to name a few. In order to get through Kings Point, you must learn to manage your time effectively and you learn this very quickly. Examples of leadership are all around you: in the regiment, in the classroom and, of course, on the court. By going to Kings Point, I was able to pin-point exactly the type of leader I wanted to be and was able to put the principles I learned into practice, both on the court and off.
What has been the best part of being a Division III student-athlete?
Being a Division III student-athlete has allowed me to escape from the stresses of the everyday grind at Kings Point. It has also allowed me to learn about teamwork, leadership and self-discipline during my first few years and then put those principles into practice as a senior. I was lucky to have some great role models my first couple of years on the team and I have attempted to emulate their mentorship this season.
How has being a Division III Athlete prepared you for your future? What's next for you?
I have learned how to balance my time well, prioritize and put into practice leadership traits I picked up my first few years as a Division III student-athlete. I feel like I have the ability to positively contribute to any team I am a part of in the future and this has prepared me for any path I wish to take after graduation. That path, as of this point, is not totally clear, but I am considering several shoreside consulting engineering as well as sea-going engineering positions.
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!
Previous Mariners Spotlights (2018-19)
- #D3Week Spotlight #4: Wrestling Senior Captain Blake Bunce - April 3, 2019
- #D3Week Spotlight #3: WLAX Senior Captain Hannah Gizzi - April 3, 2019
- #D3Week Spotlight #2: Football Senior Jake Wallace - April 2, 2019
- #D3Week Spotlight #1: Women's Volleyball Senior Captain Kate Lefler - April 1, 2019
Previous Mariners Spotlights (2017-18)
- Women's Track & Field Senior Kaylee Kilbert - April 26, 2018
- Men's Tennis Seniors Jake McDonough And Matthew Schwartz - April 20, 2018
- Women's Lacrosse Captains Rebecca Bessler, Hannah Gizzi And Maura Malone - March 29, 2018
- Men's Lacrosse Senior Captains Pat Coll, Tucker Dodson And Nick Treon - March 22, 2018
- Men's Swim & Dive Juniors Christopher Kahl, Matheus Macedo And Dave Argueta - March 13, 2018
- Women's Basketball Seniors Tichina Carmon & Gabrielle Salazar - Feb. 3, 2018
- Men's Basketball Senior Stephen Hinton - Jan. 8, 2018
- Women's Swim & Dive Juniors Ella Sherrill & Colleen Griffin - Dec. 5, 2017
- Wrestling Junior Victor Raigoza - Nov. 28, 2017
- Football's Junior Defensive Linemen - Nov. 16, 2017
- Volleyball Junior Kate Lefler - Nov. 4, 2017
- Football Senior Erik Swayne - Oct. 24, 2017
- Women's Cross Country Sophomore Carissa Buonerba - Oct. 17, 2017
- Men's Cross Country Junior Connor Cole - Oct. 12, 2017
- Volleyball Sophomore Kyleigh Kappas - Oct. 4, 2017
- Football Senior Offensive Linemen - Sept. 23, 2017
- Women's Cross Country Sophomore Anna Lewis - Sept. 18, 2017
- Men's Cross Country Senior Austin MacElrevey - Sept. 11, 2017
- Volleyball Senior Dominique Pope - Sept. 5, 2017
- Football Senior Quarterback Brice Moore - Aug. 28, 2017