KINGS POINT, N.Y. (May 2, 2018) – USMMASports.com’s new feature, the "Mariners Spotlight," continues through the spring season teams and this week we catch up with baseball senior captain Michael Barnes (Alexandria, Va.).
See below for our Q&A with Michael. Enjoy!
Q: You guys have been part of the best baseball team in program history here at the Academy. Has that sunken in yet for you guys? What have the other guys been saying about the great successes that you have had this year and what can you attribute it to?
Michael Barnes (MB): It has not really occurred to me yet how big of a deal this is. It's huge and I am honored to be able to be a Captain of such a great team. Everyone was really excited about beating the win record this year, but I believe the team is more focused on winning the Skyline Championship this year. I believe all of this success has come from how cohesive this team is and how special of a group of guys we have.
Q: The team just qualified for the Skyline Tournament and hosts SUNY Maritime on Wednesday. What is your mindset going into the tourney?
MB: We've beaten all but one team at least once, so we know we can win this. We are just focused on not psyching ourselves out and focusing on our game.
Q: What did it mean to you to be a team captain this year and what is/are the top thing(s)/advice you hope you passed on to your younger teammates?
MB: It was an incredible experience to lead this group of guys and all I can say to them is to enjoy it while it lasts, because it sure seemed to fly by.
Q: What person (or persons) inspired you most to compete at the collegiate level and how did they do so?
MB: My teammates from my team in high school that graduated with me were a huge part of that. There were three of them (Billy Lescher, Aj Melvin, and David Wagner) and they all were going on to play ball in college, so I could not be the only one. They were my best friends and we always loved to compete and try and out-play each other.
Q: What would you say is the #1 thing you have learned from Coach Notebaert?
MB: He has helped me learn the potential that I have as a Baseball player. Coming to this school, I did not anticipate to start my freshman year, but he believed in me and helped me believe in what I was capable of doing.
Q: What is something that Coach Notebaert always says?
MB: "Don't try and do too much, and to stay within yourself"
Q: Who is the funniest member of the team?
MB: I can't pinpoint exactly who, this team is full of clowns.
Q: How has your time at Kings Point thus far prepared you to be a leader?
MB: With real opportunities of leadership and real hands-on experience that no other school can offer.
Q: What major are you and what has been your favorite class (or classes) that you have taken so far and why?
MB: I am a Marine Engineering Major, and my favorite class had to be Intro to Marine Engineering. It felt like the most applicable to my major and the professor was fantastic.
Q: What company did you work for, what role did you have on the ship and where did you go during your Sea Year?
MB: I worked for both Coastal Gulf Lines and also TOTE Shipping. As an Engine Cadet I assisted the engineers heavily during the day with various maintenance tasks. I mainly visited countries in the South East.
Q: What did you learn while out at sea?
MB: Mostly of how to be an effective engineer and leader. Also that the Maritime Industry does not fit me as a person.
Q: What was your favorite place to visit while you were out at sea and why?
MB: The Philippines was a fantastic place to visit while at sea. There are so many things to do as well as visit, and everyday seems to be different.
Receive USMMA Baseball Team News Right To Your E-Mail!
If you would like to receive the latest news on the USMMA baseball team, including all press releases, send an e-mail to Assistant Athletic Director for Communications Joe Guster at email@example.com with the subject "Baseball E-Mails."
Follow USMMA Athletics On Social Media!
Be sure to follow USMMA Athletics on social media to get up-to-the-minute updates on your favorite teams! Start following today on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube!
Previous Mariners Spotlights
- Women's Track & Field Senior Kaylee Kilbert - April 26, 2018
- Men's Tennis Seniors Jake McDonough And Matthew Schwartz - April 20, 2018
- Women's Lacrosse Captains Rebecca Bessler, Hannah Gizzi And Maura Malone - March 29, 2018
- Men's Lacrosse Senior Captains Pat Coll, Tucker Dodson And Nick Treon - March 22, 2018
- Men's Swim & Dive Juniors Christopher Kahl, Matheus Macedo And Dave Argueta - March 13, 2018
- Women's Basketball Seniors Tichina Carmon & Gabrielle Salazar - Feb. 3, 2018
- Men's Basketball Senior Stephen Hinton - Jan. 8, 2018
- Women's Swim & Dive Juniors Ella Sherrill & Colleen Griffin - Dec. 5, 2017
- Wrestling Junior Victor Raigoza - Nov. 28, 2017
- Football's Junior Defensive Linemen - Nov. 16, 2017
- Volleyball Junior Kate Lefler - Nov. 4, 2017
- Football Senior Erik Swayne - Oct. 24, 2017
- Women's Cross Country Sophomore Carissa Buonerba - Oct. 17, 2017
- Men's Cross Country Junior Connor Cole - Oct. 12, 2017
- Volleyball Sophomore Kyleigh Kappas - Oct. 4, 2017
- Football Senior Offensive Linemen - Sept. 23, 2017
- Women's Cross Country Sophomore Anna Lewis - Sept. 18, 2017
- Men's Cross Country Senior Austin MacElrevey - Sept. 11, 2017
- Volleyball Senior Dominique Pope - Sept. 5, 2017
- Football Senior Quarterback Brice Moore - Aug. 28, 2017